Associate Professor, General Chemistry Coordinator
Address: 461 Chemistry Research Labs
AboutPh.D., Lehigh University
Research interest in chemical education, particularly the freshmen chemistry learning experience, undergraduate research and STEM outreach.
Recipient of a 2013/2014 Eberly College Outstanding Teacher Award.
Teaching FieldsGeneral and organic chemistry
Courses OfferedChem 115, 116, 233
Publications1. Richards-Babb, M. & Jackson, J.K. “Gendered responses to online homework use in general chemistry”, Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2011, 12, 409-419.
2. Richards-Babb, M., Drelick, J., Henry, Z., & Robertson-Honecker, J. “Online homework, help or hindrance: What students think and how they perform”, Journal of College Science Teaching 2011, 40(4), 70-82.
3. Richards-Babb, M., Carroll, R.L., & Sweeney, R.J. “Ferrofluid synthesis: Concurrently teaching laboratory techniques and enhancing interest in nanoscience”, The Chemical Educator 2010, 15, 1-6.
4. Vannatta, M., Richards-Babb, M., & Sweeney, R.J. “Oxalate synthesis and pyrolysis: A colorful introduction to stoichiometry”, Journal of Chemical Education 2010, 87(11), 1225-1229.
5. Vannatta, M., Richards-Babb, M., & Sweeney, R.J. “Thermochemistry to the rescue: A novel calorimetry experiment for general chemistry”, Journal of Chemical Education 2010, 87(11), 1222-1224.
6. Richards-Babb, M., Bishoff, J., Carver, J.S., Fisher, K., & Robertson-Honecker, J. “Keeping it safe: Chemical safety in the high school laboratory”, Journal of Chemical Health and Safety 2010, 17(1), 6-14.